03 October 2013

Last Sunday

Last Sunday, I ran the first of 2 10ks this season.  I've trained the distance several times, so I was unprepared for the pain I had. 


This course was HILLY.  REALLY HILLY.  I've always struggled with back pain, particularly when running, but by mile one, it was really cranking up.  I just took some extra walking breaks and soldiered on.  By mile two, my toes were really hurting.  I just kept on keeping on.

By mile three, I could think of nothing but the pain.  Nothing to do but go forward, as now it's as far to get back to the start as it is to finish.

Mile 4.  We stopped to take a selfie.  More than halfway there.  This run is torture, you all.

Mile 5... Everything hurts, but maybe we can do this.

Mile 6. AGONY.  I can't breathe either.  Exercise asthma FTW.

Jogged in the last .2 and OMG SO HAPPY WE ARE DONE.  It took forever. 1:28:08.  Slow but finished and that was my goal.

We weren't dead last, but we weren't far from it.  I have one 10k to go.  Right now, I feel like it will be my last, but never say never.

Doing well on Weight Watchers.  Feeling pretty good.  I don't want to get too optimistic, because I can stay on any diet for about 3 weeks.  I just need to stick with this. It's not EASY, but it's easier than other plans. 

2 comments:

Lucy said...

"but finished" is what's important! Keep up the good work Emily :)

Aimee said...

Congratulations Emily!!! I am so proud of you. Please do not even think about time. It's about endurance. You did 6.2 miles. You should be incredibly proud of yourself.

However, your pain while running is concerning. I know you are committed to your next 10K, but please listen to your body. It is not worth being injured and running shouldn't hurt.